Sunday, September 2, 2012

Computer Update (Again!)

Here's the short-ish version:

I now have not one but two computers that don't work.  The old one will work for very minimal non-RAM-intensive things (like this blog post as long as there are no photos and no other windows are open), but the new one won't connect to the internet and regularly needs to have a System Repair.  I have no idea what any of this means or why it's doing it but I have someone who will come look at it and perhaps take it with him to fix in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I'm still not able to do much of anything.  When the new computer is behaving properly (without internet but able to use it at all) I've been able to edit photos for the upcoming blog posts so you will have plenty to read when it all comes to pass.

Sending up positive thoughts to the universe or offering prayers would not be out of line at this point.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your problems Cynthia. The new computer is a Dell? and I assume your trying to use WiFi? A couple of things you could try, first if you have a network cable plug straight into the modem to bypass the wifi. 2nd, try these steps
    1. open control panel
    2. click view network status and tasks
    3. click change adapter settings
    4. Look for the one called wireless network connection, right click it and select properties
    5. Unclick the box called Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). and then click ok.

    Try and connect to the internet then. It's a long shot but might work, I have found in my travels that many counties that are a bit behind on technology can't support some of the new protocols. Fingers crossed it's that easy. Maybe I could make a living in Ecuador fixing computers? ;-) Hope you get it sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the info. It started out as just an internet issue but now it's had to go through System Repair twice and says it's a hard drive problem. I've decided to take a more Ecuadorian attitude about it and understand that it may take longer to resolve here than in the States but to be OK with that and have faith it will be repaired by the friend I have who is very good at it.

      Yes, you could probably earn a reasonable living here repairing computers. There are people who do it but are sometimes difficult to connect with and may not know as much as is helpful.

      Delete
  2. Scott/Cynthia - I will have to keep this in mind as my wife and I each have HP laptops (system 7) and here at home in Wisconsin we have WI-FI in the house - connecting my new one was simple as long as I remembered my password!

    Hope this does the trick Cynthia - I've used PC's for many years but each new operating system/device comes with new challenges. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully all my issues will be helpful to other people when they arrive--we can all learn from what I'm experiencing.

      Delete