Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving in Cotacachi

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the United States (and my mother's birthday--Happy Birthday, Mom) and Cotacachi ex-pats were definitely not left out just because we're in Ecuador.

Six different restaurants served a traditional meal as well as two private homes who opened their doors to others and, to top it off, a private chef who would either cook your meal to order and deliver it or come to your house and serve your meal to you and your guests.  How elegant is that?!  We may be a small town but we have some surprising amenities every once in a while.

I chose to have dinner at Serendipity.  I was having a hard time deciding between the two most affordable options when I met a couple I think I'd seen around and had perhaps even met at some point but, well, we were all having trouble remembering if and when.  At any rate, they invited me to join them at their table when we were all eating at Trebol (which is not serving Thanksgiving dinner) and then they invited me to join them for Thanksgiving dinner.  Thus, Serendipity.

The dog belongs to Nancy, the manager of the restaurant.

We were treated to music for a little while.  After a few songs, they passed through the crowd offering to sell us their CD.  If I listened to more music, I would have gotten one but it would have ended up sitting on a shelf at home.


Here are the people in our little group.  We were a very congenial  bunch.  It was lovely.

Just look at the food on that plate!  Is that fabulous, or what?

A friend of mine had dinner at Hacienda San Isidro and shared a few photos with me.  The restaurant donated a portion of the proceeds from the dinner to Amici Cannis, the local organization for pet rescue.
They had a great turnout.  Debbie (second from the left in the front row) said there were a total of 32 people there.  Considering we have fewer than 300 expats in Cotacachi and some are from countries other than the U.S., I think they had a great turnout.

Here's one of the rooms in the Hacienda.  The dining rooms are equally lovely...

...unfortunately the Thanksgiving dinner was in their banquet room.  Ah well, I heard the company was great and everyone enjoyed themselves.

So, there's a taste of Thanksgiving in Cotacachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment