Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Battle of Tarqui

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Tarqui.  In Ecuador, there are celebrations for tons of events of importance to the country, far more than in the US.

The sign says: Day of glory for the Ecuadorian Army that triumphed in Tarqui Patriots



Wikipedia says:
The Battle of Tarqui, also known as the Battle of Portete de Tarqui, took place on February 27, 1829 at Portete de Tarqui, near Cuenca, Ecuador. It was fought between troops from Gran Colombia, commanded by Antonio José de Sucre, and Peruvian troops under José de La Mar. It was a victory for Gran Colombia.
After the battle the forces of Gran Colombia retook control of Guayaquil.

What that meant here in Cotacachi is a procession.  I'm sure it meant the same thing all over the country, especially in Cuenca and Guayaquil but I was able to see the one here.  I confess, I missed the first half of the parade, possibly more.  I heard the drums and by the time I got down to the corner where I could get pictures, the littlest kids had already gone by--how unfortunate because they're always the cutest.

I still got some fun ones.

Some of the kids really wanted their photos taken.

Others weren't all that concerned about it.  I love the hand holding.  It wasn't universal throughout this classroom of students so I'm guessing it was voluntary as opposed to a rule.

He really wanted his picture taken so I had to oblige him.  He posed even when he had to turn partway around to do it.

There were tons of signs made by the children.

And then there was the band.  We start with the drums...
...move on to the -- well, whatever these are...
...on to yet another, whatever they are (I may not know what they are but they sure are cute...
...and finally the pipes.  They were all very talented and I almost never heard an off note.

The parade went on for several more blocks but I was already late for my lunch date with a friend so I had to dash.

One final note--there was a police truck at the head of the procession but that was all.  Once the traffic stopped for the beginning of the parade, it stayed stopped for the entire thing.  Drivers may honk their horns at the car ahead of them if the light turned red a half second before but they'll sit quietly and patiently while children parade past for more than 20 minutes.  It's great.


No comments:

Post a Comment