Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Horses and Other Tidbits

I saw something this afternoon that I can't recall outside of a parade.  A man rode by on his horse--directly through the center of town.

If I had to describe Cotacachi in just a few words, I would say it's a town that currently lives in the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.  The indigenous tribal people may still be living part of their lives even earlier than that.  On the drive here from Quito, I saw two houses with thatched roofs. Then I turn around and see a young man with his hair spiked and his jeans in danger of falling off.  I will say, though, that he's the first young man I've seen dressed that way.

Another thing I noticed just last night was how few people I see smoking.  In fact, last night was the first time I smelled cigarette smoke, which then brought the absence of it to mind.

Sheila and I went grocery shopping for me today.  Some of the prices were pleasantly low while others seemed very high.  I couldn't even find pickles.  They had olives so I might see how they work in a tuna salad.  I did find vinegar, so I might just have to see if I can find some zucchini and rectify that problem.  Sheila says I might find some in Ibarra or Otavalo but I can wait for a while to go there.  I was clever enough to bring turmeric with me but not mustard seed.  I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Tomorrow is moving day!  By noon I'll be totally out of the hotel and into my apt.  Another step in my adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment