Saturday, March 24, 2012

Thunderstorms and Hummingbirds

Last night I had my first experience with a thunderstorm in the Andes.  It was nothing short of magnificent.  The lightening bolts were spectacular but the real star of the show was the thunder.  Cotacachi is in a valley between two mountain ranges and when the thunder would start, it would bounce from one side to the other and the effect was fabulous.  If you've never lived near mountains you won't really know what I'm talking about--the rest of you, I'm sorry you can't experience it with me.

After the storm, I opened my window as wide as it would go.  There's nothing quite like the smell of freshly washed air.  It freshened up the whole apartment.

This morning, while sitting at my desk and staring out at nothing in particular when I saw a tiny bit of very fast movement.  It was a hummingbird feeding on the flowers of the tree next door.  I love hummingbirds and there just aren't any in Minneapolis so this was a special treat.  I'm going to see if there's a way I can hang a feeder on the outside of my window and see if I get any action.  They truly are my favorite bird.

One more tidbit--I finally got my computer working on wireless.  All this time I've been tethered to the modem (?) router (?) whatever, with a cord, so I've only been able to use it while sitting on my couch.  Now I can sit at my desk (after noon--the sun is too bright in the morning) and in bed whenever I feel like it.

It's definitely a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment