Friday, April 13, 2012

Garden Photos

 Above: When I look directly out my window, standing up, this is the view I get.  When people tear buildings down and rebuild here, they frequently don't take down everything.  I'm not certain why this bit was left but it actually gives an option for extending the building out a bit and adding a bedroom on but in the meantime it's just there.  When I'm sitting at my desk, working on my computer, I see 1/4 to 1/2 of the wall but above that I see the tall trees.  The very first one, right in front of me, with many of its branches leaning over the exterior wall, is the avocado tree.

Below: Here I am at the actual entrance to the yard.  Of course the tree directly in front is the avocado.  The building to the right is Julio's community room (available to use any time I want) and workshop (another photo later as well)
 Just past the edge of the workroom building, the yard stretches out to the edge of the building straight ahead.  The wall between the two yards has fallen into great disrepair (it's solid dirt/mud and very expensive to rebuild) so Julio has sunk some old tires into the ground, not only along the edge of the walk, but also at the edge of the garden.  The smallish tree directly ahead is the fig tree.
 I love this garden path.  I have no idea how long it's been there but it looks like it could be 100 years.
 Here's our coffee tree.  If you double click this to make it larger, you might be able to see some of the red berries and the white flowers.  When the berries get bright red, they're ripe.  The fruit is sweet with a bit of an acerbic bite and there are two coffee beans in there.  I've been told it's impossible to roast these beans--not sure why but since I'm not much of a coffee drinker, I'm not really too concerned about it.


While standing on the walk, when I make a right-hand turn, here's the building out back that houses the community room (first window) and Julio's workroom (second window).  The bright light makes it almost impossible to see, but if you look very carefully above the roof, you'll see part of the Catholic church right in the center top of the photo and another part of it peaking out from behind the tree in the very most upper right corner.  That's right across the street from me.
 Just past the community room/workshop is the rest of the yard with Julio's new plantings.  I'm not sure what all of them are but in a few years they will be producing lots of fruit.  Behind the wall on the right live the lovely roosters who gently sing me awake in the morning.  At the far end of the yard is one of the things I notice so much here.  There's a brand new building going up next to a rather old one.  There are other examples throughout the town of the same thing--this one just happens to be in my back yard.  The barely discernible dark smudge behind those buildings is one of the nearby mountains shrouded in clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment